Thursday 10 January 2013

City of Courtenay, BC, Heritage Homes

 Post #3d - Heritage Homes of Courtenay. BC

There are 26 posts in this blog, please visit them all.

<<<< See side bar for more

A Pictorial View of the Comox Valley 

City of Courtenay - Heritage Homes  


  Heritage Homes of Courtenay, BC
    The following are some of the Heritage Homes 
and building's in the
    Old Orchard and downtown area of Courtenay
The earlier houses are on the west side of Cliff Avenue.  
The Old Orchard has maintained the best of both worlds, with its close proximity to downtown and its historic character.

             See also - The City of Courtenay blog for more Heritage Building's

  Billy Booth House, 307 1st Street

  Built in 1912, the Billy Booth House was one of the original homes in the new “Orchard Subdivision”, named by the German developers who had purchased the 10-acre orchard from Joseph McPhee. Thomas Booth developed a thriving “T. Booth & Sons” Hardware, Grocery and Dry Goods Store in the former McPhee and Morrison building.One of the sons, William (Billy) Booth “took colors”, serving in the Royal Flying Corps during the Great War of 1914-18. When he married Ivy Barnes of Nanaimo in 1920, he brought his bride to this beautiful home.They had no children, but Ivy doted on her garden. Billy, who served on City Council, was a founding member of both the Native Sons Lodge and the Rotary Club. The home stayed in the family until 1978
Downtown CourtenayHeritageWalkbrochure.pdf(2).pdf

  Bowden House
243 2nd Street
At the corner of Cliffe Avenue and 2nd Street you will be able
to look up the street and see the Bowden House in the middle
of the block. On the right hand side of the street is one of the
original Old Orchard area homes at 243 2nd Street. This lovely
house was built in 1911 and has been occupied by a number of
families, including Norman Boden, the editor of the  Courtenay
Review newspaper, and G.W. (Bill) and Isabelle Stubbs—well
known for their contributions to the community.
Downtown CourtenayHeritageWalkbrochure.pdf(2).pdf

 The Creech House, 443 Fourth St. Courtenay, BC
A two story Victorian- influenced residential building situated on its original lot.
 Constructed ca 1890 and built by Mr. Fletcher was purchased by Edward and Eliza Creech in ca 1910. The Creech House received Heritage Commemoration from the City of Courtenay in 1998.

  1. Scoop Johnson House 754 Stewart Ave  
  2. The aesthetic value of the ‘Scoop’ Johnson House is an eclectic expression of Queen Anne and Gothicrevival influences, seen in the extensive use of wood shingled siding, asymmetrical one-storey porch, and fanciful gingerbread bargeboard under the eaves. The construction of the ‘Scoop’ Johnson Housewas the work of Mr. Ledgerwood, a well-respected local builder who constructed several houses inearly Courtenay. Situated in a predominantly residential  area in Courtenay, the Scoop Johnson Houseis representative of a time when the residence was located on a substantial piece of acreage which extended to the E&N railway line and its setting was largely rural in character..........Courtenay_heritage_register2009.pdf 

 Highway Engineer House
257 1st Street
This home was built in 1912 as a residence for the appointed Provincial
District Engineer of Highways. Later on, it was the first home
in Courtenay to have the luxury of storm windows.
Downtown CourtenayHeritageWalkbrochure.pdf(2).pdf

 Sign at driveway entrance

Sandwick Manor
Situated on its original lot, Sandwick Manor has historic and aesthetic value. Eric Duncan (1858-1944) constructed this house for his wife Ann in 1910-1911 making it the oldest residential structure west of the Courtenay River.  A farmer, store owner and post master Eric Duncan was most renowned for this poetry and writings and whose recollections and memoirs helped to tell the story of Courtenay's early history.....character..........Courtenay_heritage_register2009.pdf

 1760 Riverside LaneConstructed in 1938 as a residence for the Kirk FamilyThe historic value of the Old House Restaurant lies in its association with the Kirk Family, the original occupants of the building and prominent members of the community. Geoff Kirk operated a highly successful oil business from the dock of his riverfront property, while Kath Kirk initiated the ‘Mile of Flowers’ campaign in 1969, now a renowned annual  event in Courtenay, which draws over a thousand volunteers to plant flowers along the mile-long Cliffe Avenue corridor.
 Piercy’s Mt. Washington Funeral Home
440 England Avenue
The Piercy family arrived in the Comox Valley from New Brunswick in the late 1800s. They settled on farms on Denman Island and
throughout the Valley. Harvey Piercy, the first non-native boy to be born on Denman Island, learned to make caskets as a young man
under the tutelage of an English carpenter on the island. Harvey and his son, Archie Piercy, dug out the basement for the
funeral home themselves and made improvements to the rest of the building as income permitted. Originally built in 1941, it was
expanded and renovated in the 1990s but it outwardly maintains its 1940s appearance.

Former Sutton's Funeral Home
 According to the Land of Plenty , the Sutton family
arrived in the Comox Valley from Duncan on February 22, 1912.
Mr. Sutton was a carpenter and ‘Jack-of-all-trades.’ It was
he who placed the windows in McPhee and Morrison’s first Courtenay store.
Charlie Sutton was very active in local affairs, and
was a moving force in obtaining better school facilities
for the town. Sutton also looked after the new water
system. The first Board of Trade kept him busy.
In 1913, Courtenay Undertaking Parlours (later Sutton’s
Funeral Home) came into existence (relocating to the
Cliffe Avenue location in 1939). It remained a Courtenay
institution under Charlie Sutton until it was sold to Mr.
Reid, who sold it to the Piercy family in 1973. caption
Downtown CourtenayHeritageWalkbrochure.pdf(2).pdf

Marriott House
115 Douglas Place

This house was built in 1912 by the Sackville brothers. Barbara Marriot,
descendant of one of the original pioneer families, the Duncans,
lived here for approximately 30 years. Her great uncle arrived with
the first settlers in the fall of 1862. The writings of her uncle, Eric
Duncan have provided a vivid picture of life in the Valley from its
earliest days.

Laver's Building
208 5th Street
In 1922 the Booths erected the Laver Block on 5th and Cliff and dealt exclusively in groceries.  Ultimately Mr. R. G. Laver leased on half of the building and then bought it outright in 1927. 
  Info from the book "Land of Plenty"

Mud Sharks Cafe on corner of 4th St. & Cliffe Ave
with additional business in the rest of the building
at one time the Seale And Thomson Garage

Seale and Thomson Garage
409 Cliffe Ave. The Seale and Thomson building is a one-storey, Art Deco structure prominently situated on the corner of 4th and Cliffe in the heart of Courtenay’sdowntown core. The building features a spacious courtyard and two mature trees.....  In 1918,the first garage on the site was opened by Willemar and Wain as the creation of new roads prompted the need for service stations. Dick Seale and Joe Thomson opened a second garage on the site in 1948which was heralded as a unique and modern building that was highly equipped to service an increasing influx of automobiles in Courtenay, a reflection of the rapid growth of the city after the Second World War Courtenay_heritage_register2009.pdf

 The Old Church Theatre formerly the Canadian Martyrs Roman Catholic Church 
755 Harmston Ave

The Old Church Theatre was build as Canadian Martyrs Roman Catholic Church in 1938.  When all the Catholic church of the valley were amalgamated into one parish renamed Christ the King, a new church was build on Tunner Road.  The building was sold to the Old Church Threatre Society, who renovated the building and renamed it the Old Church Threatre. The Grand Opening was December 7, 1992.


Additional Heritage Buildings

There are also additional heritage buildings pictured in the post 
"City of Courtenay, Downtown Area"

Native Sons Hall,
Old Post Office building now the Courtenay and District Museum & Palaeontology Centre.
Muir Gallery 
Railroad Building

  The next post is

Town of Comox - Downtown

  Click the posts under Categories for more views of our valley


This page is copyrighted, please contact the author at  for permission to use.

1 comment:

  1. contact information - my new e-mail is